Have you tried resisting a food because you don’t like how it smells?
I am sorry that I dislike some food because of their smell. Also, there are ingredients I don’t like using just because I don’t like the smell. Somehow, when I started baking and blogging, I started to explore… one at a time.
One of the things I dislike is fish sauce. However, there are mouth-watering foods you could see all over Instagram (WordPress as well) that use fish sauce. I never tried making those. I saw a photo of a dipping sauce that goes well with fried fish; I asked my friend how she made the sauce. When I read the text fish sauce I wanted to tell her Okay, forget that I asked.
Of course, I did not say that.
Instead, I told her that I don’t like how fish sauce smells. She said ‘Yeah, I don’t even like how it smells, but it tastes good.’ Okay, she has convinced me at that moment. Still, I never bought fish sauce. One time in a grocery store, my friend caught me staring at the bottle of fish sauce and she told me to buy it so I can try. And finally, I did.
The bottle of fish sauce stayed inside the cupboard for months. :D I discarded all the recipes I found with fish sauce… sorry.
But one night, before I went to sleep, I’ve come across this video -
Okay, so who wouldn’t be convinced? I did not have second thoughts – I really wanted to try this dish. One thing came up – I never cooked anything curry except my favorite curry… for how many long years. I thought maybe this is the right time to bend my usage of curry powder.
CHILI AND LEMONGRASS CHICKEN
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 350g chicken thigh meat, cut into bite-sized chunks (I used bone-in chicken thigh)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar (I used ½ tbsp only)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (my addition)
- Small handful of mint, basil and coriander leaves, to garnish (I did not use as I was out of herbs to use.)
- In a bowl, combine the lemongrass, chilli, garlic and fish sauce. Place the chicken meat into another bowl and add half the lemongrass mix, reserving the rest. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the reserved lemongrass mixture, then add the curry powder and stir-fry for about 1 minute until fragrant. Then add the marinated chicken and stir-fry for 4–5 minutes until the pieces have a nice colour on all sides.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pan and stir in the sugar. (Add coconut milk if you are using.) Simmer for a few minutes until the stock has reduced and you are left with a thick sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice and garnish with the herbs.
The fish sauce smell was all over the house and while cooking, I convinced myself that this will be a good dish. And you know me… I don’t really stick to recipes when it comes to cooking (I mean, who does?) so I added a little bit of coconut milk. And it tastes just amazing as Chicken Curry.
And oh, I drizzled lemon all over my meal and it was awesome. :D
I hope you enjoy this. Happy weekend. Happy Fiesta Friday. Happy Foodie Fridays. ;)