Ground beef with homemade teriyaki sauce – perfect pair for that white rice on your lunch box.
I am at work today and I feel REALLY sleepy.
It’s not that I haven’t had enough sleep. I slept for 7 hours last night. I am getting about 6-7 hours of sleep every night. Or is it not enough?
I guess it is just very difficult to convince yourself to get up during work days. Well, except for pay day! 😀 Can you feel me?
During these times, the only thing that could make my time move is write down my activities for the coming weekend. I always end up writing too many that makes me regret after getting too exhausted. Same story the last time, eh? Yeah! Welcome to my life!
When I end up writing too many clothes to iron (don’t ask, I love ironing clothes), I choose quick and easy recipes. But when you make your own sauce, is it considered quick and easy?? I am feeling confused now. Anyway, the reasons of making my own teriyaki sauce: (1) for me, the store-bought ones are too salty; (2) I want a sauce which I can control the thickness or thinness; and (3) I want to use the remaining sauce for something else. I ended up following Deborah’s Homemade Teriyaki Sauce and it was amazing – I could drink the sauce itself. 😀 Good thing about this sauce is you can make it ahead of time, keep inside the fridge even for two weeks. When want to make something teriyaki, just get out that amazing sauce and you’re ready. That’s when the quick one comes in. And that’s when this quick teriyaki ground beef enters the story.
I was looking for something easy and quick for the lunch box and ground beef recipes came to mind. I love sweet stuff… that’s the teriyaki sauce. Combine them together with onion, garlic and ginger – fabulous, fabulous recipe! Just add salt and pepper before taking out from the flame and you have something delicious to top your white rice!
…and that was two days ago! Good thing that today is Friday and you know that Friday is not a boring day and no reason to be sleepy at all since I am partying with all you and I have a fun job to do – that is co-hosting this week’s Fiesta Friday # 172 with an amazing friend Su @ Su’s Healthy Living. Well, if you still haven’t met her, it is best to head on to her blog to see her lovely recipes.
Please do join us by clicking the image below and do not forget to mention in your post that you are linking up to Fiesta Friday party so you can be selected for the feature. And please, please be nice and polite by saying “hi” to our host, Angie, to your co-hosts and to some (if not all) party goers. Besides, this is a party. So bring out that chatter in you. 😉
Teriyaki Ground Beef
This recipe is good for 2-3 servings. Double the recipe if desired.
- 250g ground beef
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (recipe below)*
- Spring onions, sliced, to garnish
- In a skillet, saute garlic, onions and ginger in oil.
- Add ground beef while breaking into smaller pieces. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Add in teriyaki sauce and cook for another 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning if required.
- Serve with hot white rice and garnish with spring onions.
You can use store-bought teriyaki sauce and adjust the seasoning at the near end of cooking.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce:
(adapted from Deborah @ Taste and Tell Blog)
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ¼ + 1 tbsp cup soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
For the cornstarch slurry:
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water, room temperature
- In saucepan with medium heat, combine everything except for the ingredients for cornstarch slurry. Cook just until heated.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup water. Stir until dissolved. Add this mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook until you reach your desired thickness.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
I am also sharing this at