When I go to a Chinese fast-food or restaurant, Beef and Broccoli is one of my orders. I usually order Orange Chicken or Sweet and Sour Chicken, Beef and Broccoli and fried rice – same order every time. One day when I was listing what food to cook during the month, I included Beef and Broccoli on my list. The problem is I don’t want any oyster sauce in it. I don’t know… maybe I just need a new recipe to try. I have one, but my printed compilation of recipes was out of my reach. I was in front of a computer so I searched the internet. It took me a while to find a recipe coz I was looking for something “perfect”. I don’t know how I will know it without even tasting it. Out of the many recipes I found, I chose the one from Filipino Food Lovers. I made few changes, but you can always check the source.
Beef and Broccoli
- 500g beef sirloin, thinly sliced across the grain
- 250g broccoli florets, washed and drained
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 thumb size ginger, julienned
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- Cooking oil, for stir-frying
For the marinade:
- 6 tbsp soy sauce (I used the Silver Swan brand)
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tbsp. salt
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (I used the Silver Swan brand)
- ¾ cup beef broth or water (or ½ cup beef cubes dissolved in ¾ cup water)
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- In a container or ziplock bag, mix together soy sauce, sugar, salt, and the beef. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce while the beef is marinating. In a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in soy sauce, then add beef broth (or water or ½ cup beef cubes dissolved in ¾ cup water), sugar and sesame oil.
- When everything is ready: Heat the wok over high heat, then add oil. Stir-fry beef in batches (if necessary) until no longer pink. Remove the beef from the wok and place in a container.
- Using the same pan over medium-high heat, add garlic, ginger and dry chili flakes. Cook for few seconds. Add beef with its juices and cook until tender.
- Add broccoli and carrots, and let simmer for one minute.
- Increase heat to high, add 1/2 cup beef broth or water, cover, and let it simmer for another minute.
- Add the sauce and cook until thick.
- Serve with white rice.
Source recipe: Beef and Broccoli by Filipino Food Lovers
I was right in choosing this recipe. For me, this is a perfect Beef and Broccoli recipe and became one of my favorites. Thanks to Filipino Food Lovers for sharing.