Once upon a time, in a far away land, there lives a princess with her parents and siblings. The queen, the princess’ mom, loves to cook for the king and her children. Though they have house fairies, the queen wants to be in-charge in the kitchen. As the princess grows up, she has finally loved cooking. Sometimes, the princess takes charge in the kitchen when the queen is not around.
One day, the queen cooked a very delightful dish for lunch and she asked one of her children to ask the princess to come down at the kitchen. But no matter how many times she has been called, the princess didn’t come. The queen finally decided to open the princess’ bedroom door for her to smell the food her mother has cooked for them. After a few minutes, the princess finally went down to the kitchen with her big grin. 😀
Chicken Curry is my first favorite main dish and this is the first dish I have learned from my mom. I’ve been cooking this dish for years and haven’t changed anything in her recipe and
I will not trade this for any other main dish.
This dish is like my ‘signature dish’. Most of my friends will remember me when they see or smell Chicken Curry or anything curry. A friend even told me that I can make this dish perfectly even I close my eyes, hahaha.
This recipe is not complicated at all and uses only a few ingredients – the most common ones. I don’t know how other Chicken Curry recipes differ from mine… or maybe no difference at all. Or maybe there is – the LOVE I put into my cooking.
Anyway, here’s the very simple recipe of my Chicken Curry…
- 500g chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cut into cubes (about 1” x 1”)
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into cubes or wedges
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 cups (500ml) coconut cream
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Red bell pepper, julienned
- Green long chili
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- In a pot with medium heat, sauté garlic. Add onion and tomatoes. After a minute, add the chicken pieces, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder and chili powder. Mix to coat chicken pieces and simmer again for 5 minutes.
- Add veggies and coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes or until the veggies are cooked.
- Add coconut cream and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, chili and red bell pepper, simmer again for another 2 minutes.
- Chicken curry is now ready. Serve with white rice.
- You can put more vegetables if you want to. Maybe celery, eggplant, string beans… You can also have a different slice of veggies, if you want – it’s up to your liking. 🙂
- You can put more coconut milk/cream… or less.
- This is not a spicy dish but if you cut the green chili and add it with the carrots and potatoes, it will be a spicy one.
- I always use McCormick curry and chili powder. I haven’t tried using other brands. Using other brands of powders may alter the taste. You can use your preferred brand, if you wish.
- Sometimes, I love to fry eggplants and eat it with the Chicken Curry.
- I always add hard-boiled or medium-boiled eggs. 🙂
I really miss my mom when I am cooking, especially when I cook this. It’s been three years now since she passed away. Sometimes, I dream of her – cooking food for me. 😦