A childhood favorite…
My mom used to make the best ever Egg Sandwich Spread. She used to put about two cups (500 ml) of spread in a separate food containers. If I remember it correctly, she would put it in five separate food containers. Of course, one is only for me and the others can share on the remaining. 😀 I enjoy the sandwich spread so much that I even eat it without bread. It was like I was eating a dessert, like some kind of ice cream. I always take a peek at the spread inside the fridge… get a spoon and eat a spoonful of it. I do the same thing until I finish mine and take from other’s share. 🙂
I am sharing you now the recipe I got from my mom.
Egg Sandwich Spread
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup cheese, grated or chopped
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, reserve syrup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup red bell pepper or pimiento
- 3 tbsp commercialized sandwich spread (the one with pickles)*
- 3 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tbsp pineapple syrup
- Crush the hard-boiled eggs using a fork.
- Add cheese, crushed pineapple, red bell pepper (or pimiento).
- Add mayonnaise, sandwich spread, pineapple syrup and condensed milk.
- Give it a good mix. Chill for at least an hour.
- Spread on your favorite bread.
Note: *If commercialized sandwich spread is not available, you can replace it with pickle relish. I haven’t tried it but let me know if you’ll give it a shot. I used Lady’s Choice Sandwich Spread. If you cannot find one, you can add more mayo and some pickle relish. It will be just perfect.
I added some Red Bell Pepper (Sweet Pepper) to my mom’s original recipe to make it yummier. And let me tell you, I still do the take-a-peek thing until now. 😀
I’d love to serve mine on a bread with lettuce and slice of cucumbers. I don’t mind if the bread is toasted or not.