I love anything mocha-flavored – cakes, cupcakes, muffins, frosting, iced mocha, mocha coffee, ice cream… ANYTHING. I am so not into super sweet baked goodies or even in chocolates – I want the dark ones.
Why am I talking about MOCHA? Because today, what I am going to post is MOCHA Cupcakes with MOCHA Fudge Frosting. Hmmm… isn’t that yummy?
Okay, I got the cupcakes recipe from Brown Eyed Baker and the frosting from no other than, Laura Vitale. I also have used this frosting for how many times – with the cakes and cupcakes. This is my favorite mocha fudge frosting. 🙂
Now for the recipe…
Mocha Cupcakes with Mocha Fudge Frosting
Mocha Cupcakes Recipe
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1½ tsp espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, unsalted, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- Dissolve espresso powder into the brewed coffee. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat sugars and butter until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add egg and beat until just combined.
- In another bowl or jug, mix milk, brewed coffee mixture and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour to the #4 mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture and ending with the coffee mixture.
- Divide the batter between the 12 paper liners.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.
Mocha Fudge Frosting Recipe
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate
- In a heatproof bowl, add the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, add whipping cream, butter, corn syrup and espresso powder. In a low heat, heat until just boiling point. (Remove the pan when you see bubbles forming at the sides.)
- Pour the mixture over the chocolate chips, making sure to entirely cover the chocolate chips. Do not mix just now. Wait for two mimnutes and whisk until all chocolate chips are melted and the frosting is glossy.
- Pipe onto your cupcakes.
Source recipe: Mocha Fudge Frosting by Laura in the Kitchen
I didn’t use the frosting from the Brown Eyed Baker recipe because my butter is not enough. 😦 Well, just in case you’re wondering. But I promised myself I’m going to bake this again with its frosting. And that would be soon. 😀
But this one is just so good! They didn’t last that long. 🙂 As I said, I love anything MOCHA!