When I was just starting to bake, I didn’t have any idea that baking would be so close to my heart as cooking. In fact, I have lots of recipes for baking than cooking. 😀
As a cook and a baker, it would be so great if you could come up with an idea of making your own recipe. Well, that applies to me, to be specific. There are recipes in my head for a few weeks now but I have not written them down. I think I’ve already forgotten some of them. I came up with the idea of making my own recipe of cookies and muffins, but I am hesitant to start as I may not get a good result. These recipes I am talking about are not like the first recipes in the entire universe but at least, I will be proud to say that I just came up with all the measurements and everything. As a person who is not confident enough with her baking, I will very be proud of that.
A few weeks ago, I was cleaning up the pantry including food storage boxes and checked for some stocks that need to be used. Luckily, I only found few, including the Pods with Snickers I bought at Duty Free. As I’ve said before in some of my previous posts, I tend to buy more when in a shop where I know I could not come back that often and those chocolates? I could not find them at my local grocery store, so I did buy more.
Pods with Snickers (or Snickers Pods) has been staying in my food storage box for months. It’s not that I don’t like it but I was expecting a Snickers taste, but I failed. I found the peanut butter overpowered the chocolate and call me weird, but I am not really a fan of peanut butter, unless you mix it with something else. So, I thought what on earth should I do with that whole pack of chocolate?! I just came up with the idea of putting them on cookies. So, I may say that this is one of the signs that I am now confident enough with my baking skills. Of course, I already had an idea what are the ingredients needed for baking cookies but I still have to deal with the measurements. I wrote down the measurements and the ingredients I needed and finally made the cookies with my heart beating fast. 😀
‘Mix Anything’ Shortbread Cookies
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 tbsp all-vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup Pods with Snickers, cut into tiny pieces (or chocolate chunks, nuts, chocolate chips…)
- Preheat your oven to 375. Prepare a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix shortening, butter and sugar. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer or a whisk, beat until well combined.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add Pods with Snickers and mix but do not over mix.
- Take out about 1 ½ tbsp of the cookie batter and shape into a ball. Put 8 balls in a baking sheet or pan with gaps in between and flatten them slightly with a fork or just your fingers.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies stay on the baking pan for 2 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool a bit.
Two thumbs up for these cookies!!! Where do I find a dancing icon? 😀
The cookies were not chewy; they were like flaky cookies. They were flaky but soft cookies. I’ve eaten five cookies in one sitting only. And to tell the truth, that was after I’ve eaten my rice with of course, the main dish and some spring rolls. And whoa! I’ve eaten five of these cookies! These cookies must have been really good!! And I can say that I am more proud of myself. Dancing icon again, please! 😀
These cookies should originally be called Pods with Snickers Shortbread Cookies but it came to my thinking that anything could be mixed with the batter, like what I’ve mentioned above. I think even dried fruits will do. The Snickers Pods inside the cookies were so chunky that I loved it so much!!!
So, if ever you would like to try this recipe, please let me know how did it turn out. 🙂