French Toast is one of the reasons why I love breakfast, especially with those with scrambled egg on the side. I have a recipe for French Toast and this has been my go-to recipe but since it includes ground cinnamon, I don’t serve it often. I was searching for a French Toast recipe and I found this eggless recipe. When I tried it once, I had a problem with my custard mixture so I made some adjustments. But after the second try, I fell in love.
Eggless French Toast Recipe
- 6 bread slices, more if using baguette
- 2 tbsp custard powder (vanilla)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy/whipping cream cream
- Butter, as needed
- 1 tsp vanilla (if the custard powder is unflavored)
- Heat your milk and cream in a microwave for 1 minute and add the custard power and sugar. You can also add the vanilla, if using. Make sure to mix well to avoid any lumps.
- Heat a non-stick pan on low, add butter.
- Dip your bread slices on the custard mixture and make sure to do this very quickly to avoid the bread from soaking too much – about a second or two (and not more!)
- Cook/toast bread slices on each side until golden in color (still on low heat) and add butter as necessary.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with your favorite fruit, syrup, butter, jam or scrambled egg.
French Toast seems really easy to do but there are mistakes I encountered like having soggy bread or the bread sticking on the pan. But on the brighter side, I have discovered some good things to get a good French Toast:
- Use good and stale bread.
- Do not soak the bread on the custard mix for too long; this will make the bread soggy. A second or two will do.
- Use thick slices of bread.
- Use butter instead of cooking spray. I have used cooking spray- sometimes it works, sometimes not. From then on, I shifted from spray to butter and it went very well. Use a lot of butter, I must say.
- Keep the fire on low-medium and be patient in waiting for the bread to turn into golden color. It will not take 30 minutes, so be patient. 🙂
I love to serve French Toast during weekends as I have more time to prepare. Ahhh! I love weekends!! Who doesn’t love weekends, anyway? So what are you planning for the weekend? As for me, nothing unusual. I’ll just stick on my weekend routine – watch movies. Pacific Rim, Man of Steel and Monsters University are on the list. I’d love to add more on my list. If you have something in mind, please let me know. Thanks!
Have a nice weekend to everyone. 😉