I noticed that I have only tried few beef recipes, including the ones I already know how to cook. When I cook beef, I don’t usually do measurements as I was not planning to blog it at all. Mostly, I do beef with a marinade, then stir fry them. I have some favorite Filipino beef recipes and will share them to you as soon as I have cooked them again. I have also one favorite beef dish that’s a little sweet and will definitely do a post about it. It goes very well with Nasi Kuning or yellow rice.
Several weeks ago, I bought half kg of beef but I didn’t know what to do with it. But since I had green bell peppers inside the fridge, I just decided to make beef with green bell peppers. I just followed what my heart said to me so I have made Beef and Green Peppers in Dark Soy Sauce.
Beef and Green Peppers in Dark Soy Sauce
- 500 g beef, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 tbsp garlic, peeled and smashed
- ½ tbsp ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 tsp dry pepper flakes
- 1 large green bell pepper, julienned
- Cooking oil
For the marinade:
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Mix together beef and the marinade ingredients. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- While the beef is marinating, mix all the sauce.
- When everything is ready, heat the wok on a high heat with 2 tbsp of oil. Stir fry beef in batches for 20 seconds or until no longer pink. Remove and transfer to a container. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute. Add dry pepper flakes.
- Return the beef to the wok/pan and cook beef until almost tender.
- Add in sauce. (You can do a taste test and see if it’s fine with you. If not, you may want to adjust according to your liking.)
- Add in green bell peppers and when the sauce thickens, it’s ready.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with rice.
If this dish seems very dark. But you might want to replace dark soy sauce with a regular soy sauce. If so, from the above ingredients, instead of 4 tbsp dark soy sauce (marinade), make it 3 tbsp regular soy sauce and for the sauce, instead of 2 tbsp dark soy sauce, make it just 1 tbsp regular soy sauce. You have to play with the ingredients – it will be according to your liking.
Anyway, I have also made a batch using the regular soy sauce.
I loved them both. 🙂