When I want to eat a roasted chicken, I always go out and buy one. I did not have any idea that roasting a chicken could be that easy and much cheaper. When I started baking, I always wanted to try an oven-roasted chicken but due to the long list I have, I always end up baking cupcakes, muffins, etc…
There was a time that I was craving for a roasted chicken. So I went out and bought one. After eating a lot, I found my head painful. Why? This is what I get from eating a store-bought roasted chicken – not all the time, but most of the time. After that, I did not buy again. And I have not eaten roasted chicken in months. I tried looking for a roasted chicken recipe and I was surprised how easy it is to make one. So I told myself I will make one… someday! Thankfully, that ‘someday’ did not take too long – it happened in less than a month.
This is the easiest recipe I have ever found. I loved how the chicken tasted so simple, yet, so delicious!
Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 1 tbsp dried parsley (or 2 tbsp fresh parsley)
- zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse and pat dry chicken.
- Sprinkle salt all of the chicken’s surface. Place in a bowl or plate and let sit in the fridge overnight to air dry. (This step will give you the crispiest chicken skin.)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and pat dry again.
- Let the chicken rest for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, parsley and lemon zest. Melt in a microwave and set aside.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour lemon juice inside the chicken.
- Truss the chicken.
- Spread the butter mixture all over the chicken’s surface.
- Squeeze the lemon wedges all over the chicken and place the squeezed lemon wedges in the baking dish.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until juices run clear when you cut between the thigh and the leg.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for about 20 minutes before carving.
Source recipe: Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken by Best Recipe Box
The combination of the lemon juice and the juices from the chicken were absolutely awesome! If I could put them in a glass and drink them, I will. But of course, I will not do that.😀 I just can’t believe that with just very simple and few ingredients, you could make a delicious roasted chicken. See that juice?
Oops! Wait a minute. How silly of me not to show you the breast part. Chicken breast is not a favorite of mine, if you can remember. But, this one is so great that I can eat the breast part ONLY! Huh? Really? Nope! Just kidding. I love thigh and legs… but this part in this roasted chicken is perfect – not tough like some of the store-bought ones – it’s soft and still juicy! But nothing is juicer that the thigh! Okay, I get it!
I was supposed to eat this with roasted potatoes but since potatoes are carbs and rice is also a carb… Of course, I chose rice over potatoes.
Hihihi! Can you see the skin? Yes! I love the skin so much. But, you know what? I did not eat rice again after this… even after the next few days. I really know now how to discipline myself.😀 And I did not ask for another cup of rice. Yehey!
I was so happy with this chicken that I almost forgot to mention that I got this recipe from this site. Thank you so much! If you check out the link, you’ll notice that I changed some… Well, that is according to what I exactly did.
Hope you try this and let me know.