I just can’t ignore the beauty of my first ever Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken. Please expect more than two photos. It’s not much, right? Also, I kindly request you to please click the photo for a yummier view. :D
When I want to eat a roasted chicken, I always go out and buy one. I did not have any idea that roasting a chicken could be that easy and much cheaper. When I started baking, I always wanted to try an oven-roasted chicken but due to the long list I have, I always end up baking cupcakes, muffins, etc…
There was a time that I was craving for a roasted chicken. So I went out and bought one. After eating a lot, I found my head painful. Why? This is what I get from eating a store-bought roasted chicken – not all the time, but most of the time. After that, I did not buy again. And I have not eaten roasted chicken in months. I tried looking for a roasted chicken recipe and I was surprised how easy it is to make one. So I told myself I will make one… someday! Thankfully, that ‘someday’ did not take too long – it happened in less than a month.
This is the easiest recipe I have ever found. I loved how the chicken tasted so simple, yet, so delicious!
Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole Chicken (I used 1.2 kg whole chicken)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped Italian Parsley (or 1 tbsp dried parsley)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, separated and set aside
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. For the crispiest skin- see step 2. For quickest preparation- proceed to step 3.
- Sprinkle salt over all surfaces of chicken. Set on a plate, place in fridge and allow to air dry for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. Remove from fridge and pat dry water that had come to skin surface.
- Combine butter, chopped herbs, and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Melt butter over medium heat until completely melted. Set aside.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Pour the juice from 1 lemon inside the chicken.
- Truss the chicken if desired (or just tie the legs like what I did). Spread butter mixture evenly over the chicken (the butter will harden as it contacts the cold chicken. Best to work quickly.
- Squeeze the lemon wedges over the chicken and just place the squeezed lemon pieces in the baking dish.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh or the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F when probed with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 20 minutes. Carve and serve as desired.
The combination of the lemon juice and the juices from the chicken were absolutely awesome! If I could put them in a glass and drink them, I will. But of course, I will not do that. :D I just can’t believe that with just very simple and few ingredients, you could make a delicious roasted chicken. See that juice?
- I am not sure about the weight of the chicken in the original recipe but I used 1.2 kg because that’s what I have.
- When doing step 2, it is best to get the chicken out from the fridge and let the chicken rest for at least 30 minutes before proceeding to the next step. Or even if not doing step 2, still you have to let the chicken rest outside the fridge before putting it inside the oven.
Oops! Wait a minute. How silly of me not to show you the breast part. Chicken breast is not a favorite of mine, if you can remember. But, this one is so great that I can eat the breast part ONLY! Huh? Really? Nope! Just kidding. I love thigh and legs… but this part in this roasted chicken is perfect – not tough like some of the store-bought ones – it’s soft and still juicy! But nothing is juicer that the thigh! Okay, I get it!
I was supposed to eat this with roasted potatoes but since potatoes are carbs and rice is also a carb… Of course, I chose rice over potatoes.
Hihihi! Can you see the skin? Yes! I love the skin so much. But, you know what? I did not eat rice again after this… even after the next few days. I really know now how to discipline myself. :D And I did not ask for another cup of rice. Yehey!
I was so happy with this chicken that I almost forgot to mention that I got this recipe from this site. Thank you so much! If you check out the link, you’ll notice that I changed some… Well, that is according to what I exactly did.
Hope you try this and let me know.