Over the weekend, I finally got my ‘me’ time. Well, not exactly as I have not read even a single page of the book I wanted to read. Honestly, I didn’t know what to read first as I have so many on the list. The ‘me’ time included staying in the kitchen for almost six hours including the almost one hour I spend in taking photos. Gosh! It was really tiring. What did I do in the kitchen for almost six hours, you ask? I did two baking and one cooking, which I am bringing one of them for today’s FF. But I will talk about it later.
I did prepare all the ingredients I need, washed and cleaned up after that. I think I really missed staying for hours in the kitchen so even I was feeling tired, I still cooked one meal after I ate my lunch and took a bath. The baking and cooking alone were so much fun. Preparing the ingredients including the slicing of the veggies? Not too much fun! And the cleaning up? Ahh! I wanna give up. If I could throw everything I used in a plastic bag and dumped them on a garbage can, I would. But hey! I wouldn’t do that. Of course, I won’t. That’s not a good idea. AT ALL. The ‘photo shoot’ took a long time, too. Because I was so tired by the time I took the photos, I didn’t have that much of patience to deal with the ‘reflector’ (which is actually a car sun-shade) falling on the floor repeatedly, and I didn’t have somebody to assist me.
After taking photos and cleaning up my mess, that’s when I felt that my body (especially my hips and legs) was so painful. It’s like I’ve been in the gym for hours. I went to the bed to rest, finally. But after a couple of hours, I was up again and mopped the floor. Ugh! Can’t really sit for too long, huh?
Overall, my weekend was great! I wonder what will happen this weekend. 😀 I hope I will have time to read a book.
So let’s get down to business!
I think I will be opening another short discussion for today’s FF as I had a little problem when I made this delicious cake.
Dark Chocolate Almond Cake
For the cake:
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup + 3 tbsp powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup finely ground almond/almond flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup ground almonds, for topping
For the chocolate glaze:
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 375 F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a heatproof bowl, place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Microwave for a minute or so or until smooth on low-medium heat, stirring at 15 seconds interval. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Beat until pale and thick.
- Add melted chocolate and ground almonds.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda to the previous mixture.Mix well.
- In another bowl, add egg whites and beat until soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 3 tbsp powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites mixture into the flour-chocolate mixture in 3 portions. Mix until no streaks of meringue remain.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the chocolate glaze:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth and melted.
- Pour this delicious glaze over completely cooled cake.
- Top with ground almonds.
Source recipe: Dark Chocolate Almond Cake by Scientifically Sweet
The only problem I had was the bottom and the sides were almost burnt. I am having the same problem every time I deal with whipped egg whites folded into the batter. Any idea how to avoid this?
In any case, burnt or not, I enjoyed every bite.
The cake was so soft (I bet it’s because of the egg whites) and so moist.
The icing was so good.
The ground almonds on top gave a light crunchy bite.
So what are you waiting for FF people, go on and grab a slice or two, I won’t mind. 😀
Thank you, Angie, for this wonderful party! Thank you co-hosts for helping out Angie. And thank you party people for making this party rockin’.
Enjoy FF #20.
(New to Fiesta Friday? Click the image below for the guidelines.)
What are you up to this weekend? I’d love to know. 😉 Happy FF, lovely people!!