A healthy comfort food that’s delicious, spicy and filling. It’s very easy and quick to make, too.
Last week, my boss asked me to do my most hated thing at work- FILING! I dislike filing stuffs more than I dislike cinnamon (does it have to be all food-related?). I didn’t have any choice, but to comply. I was started doing my thing when my colleague arrived with her kids. The 13-year old girl told me filing is very easy:
The 13-year old girl: Hey, what are you doing? Why all these folders on the floor?
Me: The boss asked me to file all these stuffs and your Mom knows I hate filing.
The 13-year old girl: Really? Filing is really easy. See, in my room, I have so many papers like you. They are filed according to subjects.
Me: See, I also know how to file. I take the papers and stuff them inside the office cupboard.
And everybody laughed.
After our conversation, I started thinking “What if I just imagine my office files as subjects? Maybe I’d be better at it.” I still haven’t finished what I started, but I am getting there. 😉
Filing those loads of papers was not an easy task for me that it slowly drained my battery. During such times, all I can do after a tiring day at work is to prepare something comforting, easy and quick. Well, not a “5-minute quick”… it’s longer than that, but not too long.
Comfort food doesn’t have to be sweets all the time (Is this me talking?), pasta and all those big burgers and cups of rice… sometimes, it can just be as simple and this Spicy Tomato Eggs. Of course, egg should be one of my comfort foods. 😛
I love dish that’s tomato-base, so I loved this dish a lot. I love how the chickpeas give texture to the dish, which I am sure dried (and soaked) chickpeas is better than the canned one. This is best served warm and with toasted bread. I hope you will love it.
Spicy Tomato Eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp harissa
- 2 x 400g canned plum tomatoes
- Handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 2-4 eggs
- 400g canned chickpeas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toasted bread, to serve
- In a deep skillet with medium heat, add in olive oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in smoked paprika.
- Add in canned tomatoes. Mash plum tomatoes with fork.
- Add in harissa paste.
- Add in chickpeas.
- Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add in some of the coriander leaves, reserve some for garnish.
- Using the back of the ladle, create wells for the eggs. Crack one egg over the ladle and carefully, remove the ladle, leaving the egg on the well. You can create until 4 wells.
- Season each egg with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on and cook the eggs for 2 minutes or until the white is cooked, but the yolk is still soft.
- Garnish with the remaining coriander leaves.
- Serve with toasted bread.
Source recipe: Spicy Tomato Eggs by Donal Skehan
Have a fun weekend to all. Happy Fiesta Friday!
Also shared at