Grilled chicken and grilled pineapple salsa wrapped in homemade spinach flatbread, drizzled with (another) homemade healthy ranch dressing – delicious, healthy and refreshing
My brain has been so full of leafy greens and pineapple that my naughty buddies (a.k.a. rice, pasta and sorts…) were a bit upset saying that I don’t think about them that much. I could see leafy greens on the one side and pineapple on the other, not knowing if they would ever want to be BFFs. I told them they should help me and I was happy that they did. I caught them arguing few times that they can be together as one, but not to the point of being healthy. Oh, I almost forgot that this is a healthy recipe challenge with pineapple and leafy greens to go with it.
I wasn’t exactly sure if I can pass the ‘healthy test’, but when Angie told me that when there are greens and pineapples, it’s healthy. 😛 So maybe I can get a passing grade for my homework… Maybe… 😀
I’ve thought of salad and smoothies, but I want to challenge myself more (hey, it’s fun!) so the last thing that came to mind is something sandwich. The best option I had in mind was to make my own spinach tortillas that later became spinach flatbread.
So… there came chicken and grilled pineapple salsa wrapped in spinach flatbread… and let us not forget to drizzle with homemade ranch dressing! The chicken wrap was so filling and refreshing at the same time… and healthier. It was really good not feeling that guilt after eating these wraps. And oh, did I say “after eating these wraps”? It was a mistake; I ate only one. I hope you believe me this time. 😀 I should have put more grilled pineapple salsa, but overall, the taste was really good!
This Fiesta Friday Healthy Recipe Challenge is so much fun. It indeed made me get out from my comfort zone and made something healthy and new. And I am glad that I almost everything is homemade – from the flatbread to salsa up to the dressing. I feel great! Thank you, Angie!
Now, let me share with you the recipe of this delicious wrap. I did post individual recipe for the fillings, but I will also share them below.
Chicken Spinach Flatbread Wraps with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- Grilled chicken
- Spinach flatbread, homemade (recipe below) or store-bought
- Grilled pineapple salsa (recipe below)
- Homemade healthy ranch dressing (optional)
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- 1 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose or whole wheat; I used AP flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 2-3 tbsp water for the dough
- water for simmering the spinach
- In a pan, add water. Place over a stove on medium heat. When the bubbles appear at the edges, add the 1 1/2 cup of spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Using a strainer, drain water from the spinach and run under a very cold water.
- Transfer to a blender and puree the spinach. You may need to add little water in this step. I did pureed mine using a mortar and pestle because my blender was acting up.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and vegetable oil.
- Add in spinach puree and mix until crumbly.
- Add in 2-3 tbsp (or more) water until the dough comes together.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough and divide into three.
- Flatten each to 7-8 inches disk.
- In a non stick skillet with high heat, cook the flatten dough until brown spots appear. Flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat until all is cooked.
- Transfer to a lint-free towel and keep in an air-tight container until ready to use.
For the grilled pineapple salsa:
- 6 slices of fresh pineapples
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced vertically into 4
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup ripe and firm tomatoes, diced
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Parsley or cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Place bell peppers and onion in skewers.
- Grill 4 slices of pineapples along with the bell peppers and onions until edges turn brown.
- While waiting for the veggies to be done from grilling, prepare your cucumber and tomatoes and place them in a bowl.
- After grilling, let cool a bit and chop the grilled veggies and add them to the bowl of cucumber and tomatoes. Add squeeze of lemon juice and chopped parsley and cilantro (if using).
- Chill before serving.
- Cut up your chicken. Chunks or vertically sliced is fine.
- Place your flatbread on a surface. Fill with grilled chicken. Top with grilled pineapple salsa.
- Optional: drizzle with homemade ranch dressing and fresh parsley.
- Wrap and enjoy your meal. 😉
This can be topped with less salt and less fat white cheese, too. Oh, I could imagine how good it could be!
The bread can be folded into two and press using a double/press grill pan.
Also sharing at