A very easy and quick dish that’s going to satisfy your hunger after a busy day at work or if you have a little time to prepare your food.
I don’t know why sitting all day at work, doing almost nothing, still makes you feel tired. I haven’t planned what I have to cook after work, so my meals were mostly leftovers from the weekend. I am not complaining, but sometimes you crave for something. Think a delicious baked pasta or a warm brownies!
My new colleague asked me “Juju, are you okay? It seems like you are thinking about something very deeply.” I said “When I have this face on, I am thinking of what to cook or what to eat.” She was like “Seriously? If I have that face on, I must be thinking of my house rent and other bills to pay.” I told her “Well, I worry about that, too. But thinking about food makes me happier than thinking about bills or rents to pay.” And she willingly agreed. Yes? Yes!
Being busy at work the whole day and having little time to prepare your meals, easy and quick dishes like this Beef and Peas Rice Bowls are very helpful and filling. I think I overdid the addition of green peas, but overall, the dish was delicious! It is totally a quick fix for some HANGRY fellas.
The dish was great! I had it for lunch and brought some as well for my lunch at work. I had to make adjustments to the source recipe as some of the ingredients were not available in my pantry, so I used what I had. I am glad that this still turned out lovely!
Now, I am taking this easy, but delicious meal to this week’s Fiesta Friday #160. Of course, this amazing party is not possible without the lovely Angie. Thanks as well to our co-hosts this week, Anugya and Margy.
Beef and Peas Rice Bowls
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 400 g ground beef
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ chicken cube (or 1 beef cube) dissolved in ¾ warm water
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- Cooked white rice, to serve
- In a wok or deep skillet with high heat, add cooking oil.
- Add in garlic and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add ground beef until no longer pink, making sure to break up any large pieces.
- Add rice vinegar and chicken (or beef) stock.
- Reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer.
- Add in oyster sauce, soy sauce, ground black pepper and sesame oil (if using).
- Put a lid on and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in green peas and let cook for about a minute.
- Add in cornstarch slurry, while stirring constantly.
- Cook until the sauce has thicken or has reached your desired consistency.
- Place your cooked white rice in a bowl and top with cooked beef.
Instead of dissolving chicken/beef cubes, you can use store-bought or homemade stock – the taste will be way better, I am sure. But I didn’t have it in my kitchen.
If you like this dish sweet, you can add little honey or brown sugar until desired taste is achieved. You can also add any spicy stuff like cayenne or chili flakes.
If you prefer removing the peas, you can also do that. I love the texture, so I kept them in the recipe. You may also use spring onions.
I wish you all a relaxing and fantastic weekend! Happy Fiesta Friday!
I am also taking this at