Simple tuna salad with harissa tahini sauce as the dressing – very easy to prepare and such a filling meal
My colleague and I had a short talk:
Colleague: Juju, what did you have for breakfast?
Me: I had canned tuna and boiled egg.
Colleague: What? Canned tuna? Isn’t very heavy on your tummy?
Me: It was just one can of tuna. It’s not heavy on my tummy *while holding my tummy feeling very full*
Colleague: I admire you – you can eat one can of tuna early.
Me: I can eat anything anytime of the day.
After that talk, I thought that maybe it was heavy… or was it just a filling meal? Or is the feeling the same?
Ramadan has already started and with the low energy I am having during this month, I need to prepare meals that are quick and easy, but very filling like this tuna salad.
This tuna salad has few ingredients that you may already have on hand. I was feeling a little creative, so I thought of having harissa tahini sauce as the ‘dressing’. I am very much happy that it turned out really nice. This salad has the mixture of tuna in water, onion, tomato, jalapeño, salt, pepper then harissa tahini sauce. They can be enjoyed like that or your can add lettuce or any other veggies you’d love. You can also add pickled jalapeños or other pickled veggies. Pickle relish works well, too.
Tuna Salad with Harissa-Tahini Sauce
- 2 canned tuna in water, drained
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp jalapenos, seeds removed and chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- chopped pickled veggies (optional)
- Harissa-tahini sauce (recipe below, optional)
- Lettuce, to serve (or you can pick any salad veggies you like
- In a bowl, mix drained tuna, chopped onions, tomatoes and jalapenos. Add salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Serve with harissa-tahini sauce and leaves/veggies of your choice.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3-4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Warm water
- 1 tsp harrisa paste
- Salt, to taste
- In a bowl, place tahini sauce. Start off by adding 3 tbsp lemon juice. Add water until desired consistency. Add in harissa paste (you can reduce the quantity or add more). Add salt. Do a taste test and adjust according to your preference. I love mine lemony, a little salty and not too thick and runny… and with a bit of kick from the harissa.
Thank you so much and I hope you enjoy!
Happy Fiesta Friday and Ramadan Mubarak to all observing the holy month.
Also sharing at