This dish of ground beef and butternut squash is spiced with nutmeg and cumin – will leave your kitchen smelling so warm and inviting and your tummy full and happy.
There are times that even if you haven’t tasted the food or the combination of ingredients, you’d instantly thing that it’s weird. That’s what happened when I saw nutmeg and cumin a recipe. I am not a huge fan of cumin, but I am trying use it so I would be used to it. And nutmeg – I only use it for white sauce for pasta. The smell of nutmeg is kinda weird to me when I think of adding it to food. So nutmeg and cumin? Hmm, let me think about that! But you gotta try to see for yourself, right?
If you notice from the amount of serving I have written below, it’s 1-2. That is because I just wanted to try this recipe, especially the combination of cumin and nutmeg. I was doubtful at first, but I know I’d eat anything with butternut squash. I cannot explain how I liked the dish, but it was definitely good! It was a unique combination (at least for me) of everything, but I am happy that I tried it – so perfect for to add up to my collection of Whole30 recipes. And as I expected, I finished the dish in one go!
Spicy Ground Beef and Butternut Squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp jalapeno, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 250g ground beef
- 1 cup peeled & chopped butternut squash
- Parsley or coriander, to garnish*
- In a pan with medium heat, add in olive oil.
- Add onion and jalapeno and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions turn brown.
- Add in beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in powdered spices and mix to incorporate.
- Add in butternut squash and put the lid on. Cook until the butternut is cooked (about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove the lid and season with salt and pepper. Add in fresh herb.
Source recipe: Spicy Ground Beef and Butternut Squash by My Heart Beets
The source recipe calls for fresh sage, but I didn’t have any.
This serves from 1-2. You can double the recipe.
Also sharing at