Chicken and cauliflower rice dish with kalamata olives cooked in fire-roasted chopped tomatoes and seasoned with sazon seasoning.
It is really fun exploring cauliflower rice recipes. I never knew you can enjoy cauliflower rice in so many ways – from the plain fried rice to adding various flavors like Mexican or Spanish flavors. This time, I made this delicious Spanish style cauliflower rice. It is seasoned with Sazon seasoning. It is with chicken, too. So you’ll have a whole meal.
The chicken is cooked first with fire-roasted chopped tomatoes and sazon seasoning. When the chicken is done, riced cauliflower is added to the skillet along with kalamata olives (or green olives) and a small quantity of brine. The brine from the olives gives saltiness and a unique flavor to the dish as well so you might want to watch the salt when you adjust your seasoning.
Gina, the author of Skinny Taste, used tomato paste and green olives. I used fire-roasted chopped tomatoes and kalamata olives coz they were the ones available in the kitchen. I also made Gina’s sazon seasoning which is made of coriander, cumin, annatto powder, garlic powder, salt and oregano. Everything blended perfectly!
Skillet Cauliflower “Arroz” Con Pollo
- 2 whole legs (you can use 4 chicken thighs or 4 drumstick), skin on, bone in
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup red bellpepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can / 400 ml fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Sazon seasoning
- 300 g riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted + 1 tbsp brine
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick skillet (or cast iron) over medium-high heat, add a small amount of olive oil.
- Brown the chicken for 5 minutes on each side. Remove and transfer to a plate for later.
- On the same skillet over low-medium heat, add the remaining olive oil.
- Sauté garlic, onion, bell pepper and parsley until fragrant.
- Add in fire-roasted chopped tomatoes and sazon seasoning. Put back the chicken in the skillet and cook on low heat for 30-45 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through cooking. (If the sauce gets dry, add 1 tbsp of water at a time.)
- When the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken again and transfer to a plate.
- Add the riced cauliflower to the skillet along with the olives and brine, and cook for 5-8 minutes or until riced cauliflower is cooked. Adjust seasoning if required.
- Turn off the heat and return back the chicken to the skillet on top of the cooked riced cauliflower.
- Garnish with parsley.
Source recipe: Skillet Cauliflower “Arroz” Con Pollo by Skinny Taste
Also sharing at