This Oreo Hot Chocolate is so creamy and delicious – not too sweet. It uses homemade instant hot chocolate mix and with added grounded Oreos. Also with homemade whipped cream and more Oreos on top. Oreo overload, I say!
When the weather is cold, what do you want to do? Or what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Me? A delicious hot chocolate, a good book, and a comfy couch. I am not a blanket person, so no for the blanket. I prefer having a huge and fluffy pillow. Just thinking about those things makes me want to wish that it’s raining right at this very moment coz my Oreo Hot Chocolate would be perfect!
I love hot chocolate alone, but with Oreos is a level up. What’s not to love? I used the homemade instant hot chocolate mix I have on the blog which I got from Laura Vitale. The instant hot chocolate mix has 70% dark chocolate and espresso powder along with the other main ingredients like sugars and cocoa powder.
This instant hot chocolate mix can be used as a base for hot chocolate recipes – add Oreos, graham crackers, Lotus caramelized biscuits… The choices are endless. It happened that I wanted hot chocolate and I had Oreos with me (well, I am keeping a box of Oreos with me… in case of emergency, haha!) – I found this tempting recipe from The Recipe Critic. When I saw ‘hot chocolate powder’ from the ingredients list, I thought I could use the instant hot chocolate mix recipe I got from Laura.
This Oreo Hot Chocolate is super creamy and delicious! I was told that this is better than one of the Oreo drinks she had before. That feedback was enough to put a wide smile on my face! One of the good things about this one? If you are not able to finish it (which I don’t understand why?? Haha!), you can let it cool at room temperature and you can keep in the fridge. After at least two hours, you’ll have somewhat like an Oreo Milkshake. 😀 See? I am telling you – this recipe is AMAZING!
I used homemade whipped cream which I think better than store-bought. I just whipped 150 ml heavy/whipping cream till stiff peaks and I added 1 tbsp of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. I placed a dollop (or two, I guess) on top of the warm Oreo hot chocolate and it was the best Oreo hot chocolate I ever had!
I am sharing this with you and it is so sad that this will be the last Fiesta Friday of the year, but I am also excited what 2018 brings! Happy Fiesta Friday #204. Our solo co-host this week is Sandhya.
Oreo Hot Chocolate
- 250 ml whole milk
- 250 ml heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup instant hot chocolate mix
- 1/3 cup Oreos, finely grounded & filling removed (this is to be mixed with milk and cream – I have used 6 Oreos for this)
- 1 tbsp (or more) crushed Oreos for each serving (but it really depends on you – add as much as you like)
- Whipped cream, homemade or store-bought
- Prepare about 6 Oreos. Remove the filling and place in a saucepan. Set aside.
- Place the Oreos without filling in a small grinder. Pulse until grounded finely. (You can also put them in a ziplock bag, making sure to finely ground them.) Set aside.
- In a saucepan with the Oreo filling, add milk and cream. Place on a stove over low-medium heat. Heat until you see little bubbles forming around the edges. DO NOT BOIL.
- Add instant hot chocolate mix and grounded Oreos and stir using a whisk until hot chocolate mix is dissolved.
- Transfer to mugs. Add whipped cream on the top and more grounded/crushed Oreos on top.
- This makes 500 ml / 2 cups of hot chocolate, serves 2-3.
- You can use store-bought hot chocolate mix, but it might be too sweet.
Also sharing at