A perfect coffee drink if you’d want it on the healthier side.
I got used to not consuming a lot of coffee since I started with green tea. And then I omitted coffee or anything caffeine from my system for three months (??) due to the thought that anything I consume with caffeine might affect the effectiveness of the medicines I am taking. That’s according to Dr. Google, by the way.
When I started seeing a new doctor, he told me that it is fine. I wanted to smile from ear to ear and do a happy dance. I started my relationship with coffee again… slowly – trying my best to consume only during weekends, when café-ing out (new word??) with friends (doesn’t happen often), and when having a very bad headache (black sugar-free coffee is so good with my headaches) which happens weekly. Well, the taking of coffee during headaches – I try to resist coz imagine this >>> Jhuls in a hospital bed with coffee as my dextrose!<<< I still would want to control my consumption of coffee – Dr. Google would want me to.
I was doing very well at avoiding coffee, but the craving started. And that’s bad! I wanted coffee so bad, but I don’t want that black sugar-free coffee – I wanted SOMETHING coffee. Uhm, maybe a coffee milkshake from a coffee shop? How about a mocha cake? Both are not good choices if I also want that SOMETHING coffee on the healthier side. My brain doesn’t work properly when it comes to thinking about healthier choices so I asked Pinterest’s help. I got so many choices and they were all looking so good. I’ve looked into some ideas and I settled down to making a coffee smoothie with oats since I have all the ingredients. I’ve read that when adding oats to smoothies, rolled oats are better. I used the quick-cooking one coz that’s what I had.
I added about 1/3 cup of oats at first, but I found the smoothie thin so I added more to make the oats ½ cup in total. Of course, you can adjust the ingredients of your smoothie however you like it. I love mine like this and I love this smoothie – I can taste the coffee and bananas at the same time. I like the taste of coffee to be strong so I didn’t add any sweetener.
Coffee Oat Smoothie
- 1 large banana, cold or frozen
- 125 ml strong coffee, cold*
- 125 ml milk (I used whole milk), cold
- ½ cup oats (I used quick-cooking)*
- Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately.
- This recipe makes one serving. Feel free to double or triple the recipe.
- I dissolved 1 heaping tbsp ground coffee bean in 125 ml warm water & chilled in the fridge. It is up to you how strong you want your smoothie to be. You can also add sweetness to your smoothies like honey or maple syrup.
- You can start with ¼ cup oats and see if the consistency is enough for you. I used ½ cup coz I liked my smoothie thicker.