A nice twist on potato hash with a bit of kick from harissa-tahini sauce. A one-skillet dish that’s ready in 30 minutes. Healthy and a whole-30 compliant meal.
Yes, I still have more to share about my whole-30 experience. 😀
Whole-30 program is not a weight-loss program. At least that’s what I’ve read. It’s more like of a clean-eating program. Some results didn’t lead to losing weight and some lost much.
In my case, I lost 13 lbs. I felt amazing, not only because of losing weight, but because I’ve proven myself that I can take a break or ditch those naughty foods. It felt great that I didn’t feel the “need” to eat ice cream or brownies. I feel great and lighter. During the program, I didn’t feel bloated at all. I slept more soundly, but I still feel sleepy at work, though. I think it’s a normal thing for me. 😀
I was surprised by how I felt satisfied with meals like this and not to look for any other foods like burgers, pasta or rice. I have to say I had best friends during these times – potatoes, eggs, spinach and tahini. So expect more recipes with tahini sauce. 😉
This recipe is super easy. I microwaved the diced potatoes while preparing other ingredients so they will be cooked faster when they join the lovely onions and bellpeppers. I also added chopped rotisserie chicken as I had it as leftover from a previous whole-30 meal. The combination of the spices is superb. I must say that I always use that mix of spices in most of my whole-30 meals.
The addition of the tahini sauce? Brilliant! I just added store-bought harissa to my tahini sauce recipe – it was amazing! I think I put too many sauce, you see. There’s no such thing as too many tahini, yes? 😀 That alone sounds really delicious, but I just couldn’t let this meal pass without sunny side up egg on top! This meal is really satisfying. I made this dish over and over again. It’s like this is my go-to whole-30 meal.
I really enjoyed this meal a LOT. I am taking this with me at this week’s Fiesta Friday #162. This week’s party will be co-hosted by Sarah @ Tales from Kitchen Shed and Liz @ Spades, Spatulas and Spoons. Thanks to both of you and of course, to our amazing host, Angie. ❤ Happy Fiesta Friday!!
Potato Hash with Harissa-Tahini Sauce
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- water, to boil potatoes
- salt, to boil potatoes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- ¼ cup red bellpepper, chopped
- ¼ cup orange bellpepper, chopped
- ¼ cup yellow bellpepper, chopped
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded or chopped (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp hot smoked paprika
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach, washed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sunny side up eggs, to serve
- Harissa-tahini sauce (recipe below, optional)
- In a large heatproof bowl, place diced potatoes. Add enough water to cover potatoes and salt.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. You can also boil the potatoes over a stove until tender.
- When potatoes are done, place in a strainer to drain liquid. Set aside.
- In a large skillet with medium-high heat, add olive oil.
- Add in sliced onions and cook until a little caramelized (about 5 minutes).
- Add in bellpeppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken (if using) and potatoes.
- Add in cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder and hot smoked paprika. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. (If you feel that the dish is a little dry for you, add more olive oil).
- Add salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add handfuls of spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Turn of the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Top with sunny side up egg(s) and drizzle with harissa-tahini sauce.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3-4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Warm water
- 1 tsp harrisa paste
- Salt, to taste
- In a bowl, place tahini sauce. Start off by adding 3 tbsp lemon juice. Add water until desired consistency. Add in harissa paste (you can reduce the quantity or add more). Add salt. Do a taste test and adjust according to your preference. I love mine lemony, a little salty and not too thick and runny… and with a bit of kick from the harissa.
Thanks for being with me today and have a fantastic weekend to all!
I am also taking this lovely dish at