These baked eggs in smoky sweet potato nests are so perfect that you’d want to everything in one sitting – sweet, salty and spicy. Great to make ahead of time, too.
How many eggs are allowed to consume in a day? Some say 2 and some say 3. Some say it depends on the rest of the food you consume during the day. I say unlimited. Whaaaat?? You’ve heard (or read) me right. I don’t forbid myself from eating how many eggs I want in a day, but I also don’t eat much and by ‘much’ I mean 6 eggs in a day. When I am really starving, all I want to eat is 2 sunny-side-up eggs – make that with super crisp edges with a runny yolk! Yum! When I am super stressed about anything – the answer is the same. You may probably think I’ll have chocolate in mind, but honestly (and now you know), I’d take eggs again. So when starving strikes + super stressed about clearly anything = 4 sunny-side-up eggs in a day. Cool down! It only happens during weekends. I don’t even know how come I (sometimes) starve during weekends. I may have to reflect on that.
I love my eggs so much that I only choose recipes that are worthy to sacrifice my eggs. Meaning: I’ll choose the recipe with eggs over sunny-side-up eggs. As if I don’t reserve some in case I starve or feel stressed, ha! Also, I am reserving some space in my tummy for sunny-side-up eggs in case of emergency. But making these baked eggs in smoky sweet potato nests might have changed my mind…
Smoked paprika is my new favorite spice. Apart from curry powder, smoked paprika has a very, very special place in my heart (or tummy). I have seen so many recipes like this and they all sounded lovely. But I wanted sweet potatoes and smoked paprika together.
I used hot smoked paprika since I am saving the regular smoked, also in case of emergency. If feeding kids, you can use the regular smoked. I love how the sweet potatoes and eggs tasted with smoked paprika. These were so good that I almost finished everything in one sitting! Hmm, yeah, I may have not eaten them in one sitting, but I ate everything on the same day! Oooopppps!
Today is so fun as I am one of the co-hosts for this week’s Fiesta Friday #192. The lovely Zeba is sharing the co-hosting duties with me. Join us and enjoy delicious food and good stories. Thanks to Angie for letting this party happen. Please visit the host and co-hosts’ blog, along with the party goers and take time to leave a nice comment on their posts. I am sure it will make everyone smile today.😊 Happy Fiesta Friday!
Whole30 Baked Eggs in Smoky Sweet Potato Nests
- 2 cups (packed) sweet potatoes, shredded
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 medium eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare muffin pan and generously spray with cooking oil/olive oil spray.
- Place your shredded sweet potatoes on a clean kitchen towel and squeeze the liquid out. Transfer to a bowl, add olive oil, hot smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Take about ¼ – 1/3 cup of the mixture and use your fingers to press the mixture into the bottom and sides of each muffin cup to create a nest.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until nests are golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully crack an egg over each nest.
- Put the pan inside the oven and bake further for about 8-12 minutes or until the desired doneness of the egg is reached. Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper.
- Let them stay in the muffin pan for about 10 minutes before enjoying.
*You can use regular smoked paprika to be kid friendly.
You can top them with any hot sauce like Sriracha or any other topping you’d love.